Sara 's Reviews > Deadlocked

Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris

Jul 12, 12

bookshelves: paranormal
Read in July, 2012

I listened to this most recent Sookie book on audio, and must now wait almost a year to find out what happens next since book #13 is not yet published :( I got spoiled reading them one after another.

**there may be a mild spoiler or two in this review but pretty vague stuff**

Apparently, the next book will be the last in this series, and I really don't know how the story is going to end at this point. How will Sookie ever escape the many kinds of supernatural drama that have filled her life for the 2 or 3 years covered by this series? I guess there's one supernatural group that's out of the equation after this book, and a few of Sookie's enemies have been taken care of, but I can certainly think of more people who would like to cause trouble for her (Arlene & the FBI agent, just to name a couple of regular ol' humans). And would she really WANT to escape the supernatural drama? Sometimes she gets wistful about having a "normal" life, but she never really had one because of the telepathy, and she's better at making friends among the supernatural community. So...not sure how it will all end in such a way that readers will be able to imagine life continuing on satisfactorily for Sookie and Bon Temps. Hope she doesn't die!!

I was really looking forward to seeing what happened with the Cluviel Dor, and was not disappointed. Sookie uses it in this book, and the way she used it made sense to me. It had been weighing on her mind--how would you know what to choose, if you could make any wish related to you or a loved one? I'd find it excruciating just trying to make the right decision. So I could very well imagine Sookie's feeling of relief at being freed from such a burdensome choice.

I wasn't too surprised at the identites of the characters who were involved in the murder at the beginning of the book. They were shady all around, so it wasn't a big mystery.

One thing I especially liked about Sookie's personality in this book was that she finally quits even trying to be nice and polite in certain situations. Seems like it's time for that change to occur. She's not a jerk or anything, but just isn't really trying to play innocent anymore.

Bill was slightly less pathetic in this book than he has been for the past couple. He has been mooning over Sookie big-time, not letting go. But in this book, I was glad to see him taking a serious interest in his work as Area 5 Investigator. In fact, it was a lot of fun when he and Sookie team up to free a hostage. They were working together as a team, like a buddy-cop episode. Bill seems to have ideas and tricks up his sleeve again, and maybe a bit more spark of life (so to speak...).

Spoilers concerning Eric: (view spoiler) I have some ideas about what might happen with Sookie's love life in the future, and look forward to seeing if those predictions are correct.

All in all, although it wasn't my favorite installment in the series, I still enjoyed this book and look forward to the next story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadlocked.