Ginifer's Reviews > Getting Over Garrett Delaney

Getting Over Garrett Delaney by Abby McDonald

F 50x66
Jun 09, 2012

Read from June 09 to 11, 2012

I love, love, love this book! I don't even know where to start. Sadie is an absolute wonderful character. She has fallen so head over heels for Garrett that she doesn't even know where he stops and she begins. She does really like those old black and white films and 80's British indie bands, right? Maybe not. The whole novel I was rooting for her to figure out who she is and what she likes. It's really confusing for her, because when she first met Garrett they did share common interests. But Sadie realizes that she lost herself somewhere along the way.

In the beginning I liked Garrett. As the story progressed though, I realized what a self-absorbed jerk he is. I was so connected with Sadie that I was literally afraid for her heart when he comes back to town. I cried with her and laughed with her. It's just an incredible story. And the secondary characters - love all of her coworkers and her friend Kayla. They aren't just fluff; all of them are instrumental in Sadie's progress.

Speaking of progress, I love that we intermittently get the steps to Sadie's 12 step Garrett-detox every few chapters. It flows really well within the story, entering when that step complements the storyline. They are written from Sadie to herself. One of my favorite quotes comes from "Step 10: Brave New (Platonic) World":

"Clearly, the old approach didn't work out so well. So it's time for some new rules.
Start with no touching. Add no romantic locations, no long midnight drives, and most definitely no innocent tickle fights on his bed. There is no such thing as innocence once your heart has been broken into a million anguished pieces, just remember that."
~Locations 2827-2833, Kindle Edition

No complaints about this one from me. It's perfect just the way it is. This is the first novel I've read from Abby McDonald, but it certainly won't be the last.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Getting Over Garrett Delaney.