Julie Davis's Reviews > The Chronicles of Clovis

The Chronicles of Clovis by Saki

Jun 23, 12

Read in June, 2012

When I was young I discovered Saki and read all his stories. Over the years, of course, one comes across a few very popular stories repeatedly. Now I've come across a wonderful podcast, The Clovis Stories by Saki which is working its way through all the Saki stories, beginning with The Chronicles of Clovis. By the time I discovered it, The Chronicles were completed and they had moved on to Beasts and Super-Beasts. But I am listening to a story a day (or so) from the beginning. And enjoying vastly rediscovering the ones I forgot and the ones I vaguely remember. The is no one like Saki for blending wicked humor with a tinge of superiority ... like P.G. Wodehouse if he'd had a bit more maliciousness sarcasm in his writing.

This book intersperses Clovis' chronicles with horror stories, both of which fascinate even while you can see the inevitable uncomfortable conclusion coming. Saki's powers of expression are those which will fascinate anyone who enjoys a well told tale.

UPDATE
The reviewer who said, "Saki writes like a very charming sociopath (who you find yourself liking, despite your better judgment)." was spot on. The sheer perversity of the situations and people involved is brilliant and also highly amusing. Does it change our opinion of A.A. Milne that he loved these stories or does it change our opinion of Saki? You may read Milne's introduction in the free Project Gutenberg edition.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chronicles of Clovis.

06/14/2012 page 100