Colleen's Reviews > Tubes: A Journey to the Center of the Internet

Tubes by Andrew  Blum

Jun 21, 12

Read in June, 2012

Here's my official review: http://www.techzone360.com/topics/tec...

This book was good. I have always wondered about the Internet's physicality, and I'm glad I picked this book up because I got my answer. Also as an English major, writer, and overall lover of the written word, I liked how the book didn't flash around its technical language, but included excerpts from literature and popular culture. This really was the way to learn more about the Internet for me, and it was an enjoyable read for sure. Not so sure how a super technical computer whiz would like it though.
Anyway, as something I use everyday, the Internet is just this awesome, unbelievably complex and yet equally simple THING in the universe, and now I have a clearer idea in my mind just what that thing is, how it works, who operates it, what different parts it has, and where the system lives.
Making something so out-there make sense in logical and physical terms is a feat, and Blum does just fine.

ps - unless you are completely wrapped up in this it does get a little plodding towards the end. my interest waned. :/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tubes.