Aubrey Smith's Reviews > My Mother the Cheerleader

My Mother the Cheerleader by Robert Sharenow

Jun 09, 12

bookshelves: young-adult-literature

This book is nothing like the title portrays. The "cheerleaders" being talked about here are the women who stood outside of the school little Ruby Bridges attended and would yell at her and throw things at her because they did not support integration. The narrator of the story is the daughter of one of these cheerleaders and it is her story about what was going on at the time when schools were being integrated. This is a great book and really makes you think about the type of person you would be in situations like this. This book is about self discovery and the main character finding out who she is. This book was written, I think, in response to John Steinbeck's novel "Travels With Charley" which talks about the cheerleaders through a different perspective. These 2 novels would be a great teaching tool if combined and read in the same classroom.

On a scale of 1-5:
Violence: 4- There is a rape scene, People throw things at Ruby Bridges- including urine, The book alludes to a man being killed/or burned in his car
Sex: 3-There is a rape scene, the girl talks about hearing her mother with different men
Language-1 I can't really remember anything
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Mother the Cheerleader.