Susan's Reviews > The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

F 50x66
Jun 09, 12

bookshelves: 2012books
Read in June, 2012

Carmen got the jeans at a thrift shop. They didn’t look all that great: they were worn, dirty, and speckled with bleach. On the night before she and her friends part for the summer, Carmen decides to toss them. But Tibby says they’re great. She'd love to have them. Lena and Bridget also think they’re fabulous. Lena decides that they should all try them on. Whoever they fit best will get them. Nobody knows why, but the pants fit everyone perfectly. Even Carmen (who never thinks she looks good in anything) thinks she looks good in the pants. Over a few bags of cheese puffs, they decide to form a sisterhood and take the vow of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants . . . the next morning, they say good-bye. And then the journey of the pants — and the most memorable summer of their lives — begins.

I really loved this book. It took a little time to get started and I was beginning to think that it was just another fairly enjoyable teen book - but then it really got going, the characters were fleshed out and I fell in love with all of them. The characterisation was so good! The girls were so different but such complete personalities. Fantastic! I read it in one sitting! I was a bit doubtful about the speed of the postal service (especially to Santorini) but there are times when we just have to suspend belief a little :-)
4 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.

Joanne I agree! This was a lovely book and I felt I got to know the characters really well. It took a while to work out who was who but once I got there, the story took off for me. I wasn't as perturbed by the speed of the postal service but more by the fact that the jeans weren't washed for 7 weeks! :-)