Lauren's Reviews > The Book of Three

liked it
Recommended to Lauren by: Patrick
Recommended for: Kids younger than 10
Read in June, 2012

This book was funny and entertaining, but as others have mentioned a little bit LOTR. However, there are some good original ideas and characters as well. My favorite character was Fflewdur Fflam, an ex-King turned bard with a penchant for telling tall tales.

The three things I did not like about this book:

1. The main character is slightly annoying, and is constantly making stupid mistakes. This frustrated me, but by the end of the book he has learned his lesson and humility and that does fix this one for me.

2. The pacing is really off. I felt like this book was written with very little in-between scenes and jumps from action to action to action. Taran meets a stranger and the village is burning maybe and the pig is loose and he falls into a bush and a wild GOLLUM has appeared and Taran fights a thing and then Taran FALLS and then Taran is ??? and somehow we've just traveled several hundred miles! That's how I felt reading this. The pacing made it hard to decipher time and location. Without my realizing it the characters traversed a mountain range. I was shocked when the book offhandedly mentioned they were leaving the mountains now. What mountains? When did this happen? How long have they been traveling?

3. Deus Ex Machina. For reals.

That being said, I simply don't see that much old school fantasy for very young kids and it was interesting enough I will read the second book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Three.