Aoibhin's Reviews > Lighthousekeeping

Lighthousekeeping by Jeanette Winterson
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lighthousekeeping.

Quotes Aoibhin Liked

“Tell me a story, Pew.

What kind of story, child?
A story with a happy ending.
There’s no such thing in all the world.
As a happy ending?
As an ending.”

Jeanette Winterson
“There it is; the light across the water. Your story. Mine. His. It has to be seen to be believed. And it has to be heard. In the endless babble of narrative, in spite of the daily noise, the story waits to be heard.

Some people say that the best stories have no words. They weren't brought up to Lighthousekeeping. It is true that words drop away, and that the important things are often left unsaid. The important things are learned in faces, in gestures, not in our locked tongues. The true things are too big or too small, or in any case is always the wrong size to fit in the template called language.”

Jeanette Winterson
“This is not a love story, but love is in it. That is, love is just outside it, looking for a way to break in.”

Jeanette Winterson
“There’s no story that’s the start of itself.”

Jeanette Winterson
“We're here, there, not here, not there, swirling like specks of dust, claiming for ourselves the rights of the universe. Being important, being nothing, being caught in lives of our own making that we never wanted. Breaking out, trying again, wondering why the past comes with us, wondering how to talk about the past at all.”

Jeanette Winterson
“I think of love as a force of nature-as strog as the sun, as necessary, as impersonal, as gigantic, as impossible, as scorching as it is warming,as drought-making as it is life-giving.”

Jeanette Winterson
“I have a list of titles that I leave at the [library] desk, because they are bound to be written some day, and it's best to be ahead of the queue.”

Jeanette Winterson
“I do not accept that life has an ordinary shape, or that there is anything ordinary about life at all. We make it ordinary, but it is not.”

Jeanette Winterson
“Words are the part of silence that can be spoken.”

Jeanette Winterson
“Where did love begin?What human being looked at another and saw in their face the forests and the sea? Was there a day, exhausted and weary,dragging home food, arms cut and scarred,that you saw yellow flowers, not knowing what you did, picked them because I love you? In the fossil record of our existence, there is no trace of love.You cannot find it held in the earth's crust, waiting to be discovered. The long bones of our ancestors show nothing of their hearts.”

Jeanette Winterson
“The continuous narrative of existence is a lie. There is no continuous narrative, there are lit-up moments, and the rest is dark. When you look closely, the twenty-four hour day is framed into a moment; the still-life of the jerky amphetamine world. That woman-a pieta. Those men, rough angels with an unknown message. The children holding hands, spanning time. And in every still-life, there is a story, the story that tells you everything you need to know.”