Majibookshelf Juhina & Farah's Reviews > Supergirl Mixtapes

Supergirl Mixtapes by Meagan Brothers

I haven't read any reviews of "Supergirl Mixtapes" before, so I really didn't have any expectations for it. I just started, and hoped that it would entertain me. Judging by it's creative cover, I immediately thought that it was going to be about music, but honestly, it was more that that. Maria, the main protagonist, leaves her dad to live with and visit her artistic mother in New York. Her mother, Victoria, is a crazy woman with a really young boyfriend. I really felt that was weird, judging by how Maria had to live with both of them, but at the same time, stuff like that did happen in real life.
While reading, it was a real chill contemporary book. Maria went to a rich school that her rich grandmother paid for. She didn't like it and didn't make any friends, so she kept skipping school all together. One day, at a record store, she meets Gram. I can't say he plays a really big part in the book, because the romance is kind of on the low side. Though for the first time in any book I read, the guy the main protagonist is interested in, is "fat" and not all that handsome. I really thought the idea was refreshing and different from all of the other novels. The reason why the romance was on the low side is because it's more concentrated on the relationship between Maria, her mother, and the difficulties between the both of them.
Overall, I can't say much about the book, but I did enjoy it. I do have to say that the ending did not feel like an ending at all. I was disappointed, but at the same time, I felt happy. It was a cute read, and I would recommend it to the contemporary lovers out there!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Supergirl Mixtapes.