Richard's Reviews > George's Marvellous Medicine

George's Marvellous Medicine by Roald Dahl

M 50x66
Jun 09, 2012

I greatly enjoyed re-reading this Roald Dahl classic. It tells the story of our protagonist George who is fed up of his grandmother’s nagging and rudeness. So instead her usual medicine he decides to make his own to give her. He takes his ingredients from all around the house, including shampoo, floor polish and anti-freeze proving a good reason for each inclusion. For example the shampoo is to ‘wash her tummy’.

However not even George could have predicted the effect it would have on his grandma when she drinks it. After smoke coming from her mouth she grows as tall as a house. George’s father tries to push him to make some more so they can give it to their farm animals to make them grow much larger and make a fortune. I still remember my brother trying to make his own marvellous medicine after reading this book, which involved toothpaste and soap. I don’t think he ever drank it but perhaps one warning should be stressed to the children who read this: don’t try this at home!

Also I couldn’t help but see the links to growth hormones in modern farming as I was reading. This book could be used to discuss such issues with children. I would say this book is best suited (level-wise) to the average lower key stage two child.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read George's Marvellous Medicine.