Shanda's Reviews > Erasing Time

Erasing Time by C.J. Hill

Jun 09, 2012

bookshelves: books-i-own, dystopian, for-review, lds-authors, science-fiction, series, young-adult
Read in October, 2012

I’ve always had a thing for time-travel stories. Maybe it’s the science geek in me. I know there are laws of physics that have to be dealt with and that it’s generally accepted as a bad idea all around, but I love the idea of time-travel anyway.

Erasing Time is set in the year 2447, far enough in the future that the English language is almost unrecognizable to people from the “twenties,” and the country has fractured into self-regulating domed cities who war with each other from time to time.

The technology in Traventon interested me. For instance, the government tracks its citizens with crystals implanted in their wrists. When someone sits down at a table to eat, their health statistics are displayed on a monitor. Most people proudly wear badges that display their “rank” in the city, based on wealth, position, health, and family relations as well as ratings from friends.

Yet, with all of this technology, including the Time Strainer that pulled twins Sheridan and Taylor into the 25th century, language is still a barrier. Echo and his father, Jeth, are historians who understand and speak the 21st century version of English and serve as translators for the government and the twins.

Soon, Sheridan and Taylor discover that they can speak openly about escape in front of Echo and Jeth without them understanding by using idioms. For example, they can “chew the fat” about how hard it would be to “flew the coop,” etc. I found this particularly entertaining and it made me realize just how much we use idioms in every day speech.

There were other contrasting aspects that I found interesting. For example, appearances seem to be everything (numerous hair colors and styles, make up in varying degrees of intensity and design) and yet their laser guns are simple black boxes. They despise the flesh-eaters that hunted animals into extinction yet there are all types of meat substitutes on the menus attempting to recreate the flesh-eating experience.

I think a book club could have a lot of fun discussing all of these little idiosyncrasies of this new “modern” society, not to mention the “Dakine” and “Doctor Worshippers.” It’s these “Doctor Worshippers” that make me want to keep reading the series. I’m very curious to know more about them.

While I did figure out a few things ahead of time it didn’t affect my enjoyment of the book. I found Erasing Time to be a quick read, one that kept me turning pages and left me looking forward to more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Erasing Time.