Doug Bradshaw's Reviews > Gone Girl

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Jun 13, 12

Read from June 09 to 13, 2012

This story reminds me of some of the twisted and evil plots on CSI or Criminal Minds. It is clever and annoying and could actually be feasible. But the fun or clever part of the story is really the little observations all the way along about games married (and sometimes unmarried) couples play with each other as they struggle for validation or love or even more attention or affection. And in some cases, when the other is leaving or becoming unfaithful. I have a hard time looking at the picture of the pretty author and then having her spew out all of these twisted and crummy little things about men and life and men's expectations about sex and the woman's role. And even though I know she is just describing a particular personality type of woman, it still rings a little bit too true that many of us men can be real redneck pig dogs. And yet, as you'll see, that role can sometimes be the reverse.

I read it quickly and it kept my attention and it had some interesting adult information in it and a hell of a good and sometimes scary story. It could almost be a Stephen King. I did note that sometimes the voice of Nick, the male, had some decidedly female thoughts. In other words, it seemed like a female speaking as she would think a male would speak. Let me know if you saw any of that in the book.

Words to describe the book: twisted, psycho, bitch, sexually charged, but not in a good way, adult, a little bit far fetched or contrived, fun and creepy. If I were a single, intelligent male or female, I'd think twice about falling in love and getting married.

I'll be looking forward to your reviews.
10 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone Girl.

06/09/2012 "Compelling and well written thus far"
06/09/2012
15.0% 1 comment
06/13/2012
70.0% "The story really kicks in more in the second half. The first half is all set up and then.....whoa." 2 comments

Beth Knight This is on my TBR list and I can't wait to get a copy!

Stacey I have this on audio and I think it will be next!

Beth Knight I just bought it today and after I finish The Kommandant's Girl I'll start on this!

Erin This sounds like just what I need. Can't wait.

Kelly Your review scared the hell out of me Doug! ;)

Beth - I liked the kommandants girl...read it years ago.

Doug Bradshaw Kelly, I want you to go in with open eyes if you go in. There are some very interesting metaphors and themes I want to discuss once some of you have finished the book. Makes me laugh and cringe as I think about it. It's a fairly ruthless tale in some ways.

Beth Knight Kelly, I liked The Kommandant's Girl, too, and gave it 4 stars. It may sound weird but I really enjoy books that take place during WW2. I started Gone Girl last night and although I only read a few pages it looks like it's going to be a good one. I like stories that are told from from differing points of view.

message 8: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Doug, what about Dark Places, her second book? It's on my TBR but for some reason every time I look at it, just the description creeps me out enough not to pick it up.

Doug Bradshaw I haven't read it but friends tell me it's a great read. I think I'll put it on mine as well.

Kelly Beth - this is a dumb question, but have you read The Book Thief? If not, run and get it...I absolutely loved it (WWII). Also - if you haven't watched the movie Life is Beautiful - go watch it!

Laura - I feel exactly like you! The description totally creeps me out. It may take a leap of faith to pick it up...

message 11: by Doug (new) - rated it 4 stars

Doug Bradshaw Guys, I'd say on a scale of seriously adult themes and things going on, this one is probably less salacious than The Dragon Tattoo series. On one level, it is just an exaggeration of how marriage works with its various compromises and disappointments, each side doing a few things giving in to the other side and forgiving the other side for various reasons, hopefully, one of which is love but probably more to be pragmatic.

message 12: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Kelly - I was referring to the description of this author's second book, Dark Places. Is that the one you're talking about, or this one (Gone Girl)? Very creepy descriptions usually only draw me in October, with Halloween right around the corner, lol.

message 13: by Laura (last edited Jun 16, 2012 04:28PM) (new) - added it

Laura Doug wrote: "Guys, I'd say on a scale of seriously adult themes and things going on, this one is probably less salacious than The Dragon Tattoo series. On one level, it is just an exaggeration of how marriage ..."

After the first Dragon Tattoo, I decided not to move on with it. The first one was just too (frankly) gratuitously gross for me. I just thought the torture and whatnot was over the top, and although it was a page-turner, I couldn't see keeping on with it.

message 14: by Doug (new) - rated it 4 stars

Doug Bradshaw I was weighing in on Gone Girl but I knew you were talking about the other book. I don't blame you for not reading things that you dislike or make you uncomfortable. I also have my limits. LOL

message 15: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Gotcha, muchacho. :D

Kelly LOL - this is a whole tangled mess ;)

Laura - I was also referring to Dark Places. I think I can read Gone Girl, but Dark Places looks like it might be too dark a place for me...;)

So funny because I loved Girl with the Dragon Tattoo even though it had content that was way over my threshold for certain things.... Also I felt the second two had way less gratuitous sex, but still very violent. The first one had the rape/torture stuff, but the second two were an easier read in that respect.

message 17: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura hmm, may need to reconsider that series then since I liked everything else about it, lol. Thanks Kelly.

Yeah, Dark Places....I love this author, but that looks like it may be too much. May try it one day though, if I'm feeling adventurous. ;)

Kelly It's funny, Laura, because I felt the same way reading the back cover of The Lovely Bones, but it ended up being the only book I had on an airplane and I read it and loved it. I have four children so I was very apprehensive when I started that book! I guess one of us should try it and tell the other.......;) I nominate you! jk

message 19: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura I actually really enjoyed The Lovely Bones, but I've been blasted more than a few times for it here on GR, lol. Not sure why it gets such a bad rap. I thought it was good, but I only read it because my daughter was reading it and I thought it may be a little grown up for her at the time. I just wanted to be prepared for whatever may come up in conversation as a result, lol.

message 20: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Proves you can't judge a book by the cover, or the cover description! :D

Kelly Oh I didn't realize it got a bad rap. I thought it was really interesting actually...oh well, I guess we are all entitled to our own opinions! That is what's so great about reading - different opinions and different books resonating with different people :) I love book clubs comprised of opinionated members...lively debate/discussion is so fun!

message 22: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura It is, I agree. It's been many years since I read it, and I have a horrible memory, but I found it to be a page-turner. Hard to rate any page-turner at less than a 4 for me.

Kelly True - I find I do that a lot with the beautiful covers of historical novels. One of my favorite novels of all time has the dumbest cover ever (well at least the original cover) - Katherine by Anya Seton. When a friend gave it to me when I was 15 I just couldn't bring myself to start it because it looked so boring. I finally read it at almost 17 and it has been one of my favorites ever since!

On the rating thing...I find it so hard to rate books. I agree totally that a page-turner has to be a 4. But then it feels strange to rate a classic the same as a pure entertainment read. I try to just rate books within their genre now...makes it much easier for me. I used to just agonize over that...so silly I know, but books are my passion!

Kelly Doug! Look at the discussion your review started...I not only bloviate but I can take things and run in a random direction with them ;) Good thing you're a patient man!

message 25: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura That's the thing about GR - it's ok to be book-obsessed here, lol.

So I'm thinking this one may be low enough on the creepy scale that it's worth trying? I'm hoping so.

message 26: by Laura (last edited Jun 16, 2012 05:53PM) (new) - added it

Laura Kelly wrote: "Doug! Look at the discussion your review started...I not only bloviate but I can take things and run in a random direction with them ;) Good thing you're a patient man!"

I was thinking the same thing - he tolerates the derailing of his review so well lol.

Kelly Doug's obsessed with books too so it works out okay :)

I have a lot of books in my cue but I'll prob give it a go sometime too...I trust Theresa (she recommended it). Talking about dark places.

Gone girl I'll definitely read. Sounds like there is great discussion potential there.

message 28: by Doug (new) - rated it 4 stars

Doug Bradshaw I enjoy the thought of a random Goodreads person viewing my review and the comments people make about it. Wtf? Lol. This is what goodreads is all about. It's great fun.

Kelly AMEN brother!

message 30: by Beth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth Knight Kelly, yep, I read and loved The Book Thief! It's actually one of my all-time favorites. I've also seen-and loved- Life is Beautiful. I have a "thing" for all things WW2, as creepy as it may sound.

message 31: by Beth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth Knight I feel the same way about GR! I love meeting new people on here and love all the tangents. Seriously, I've met the best people on here.

message 32: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Doug wrote: "I enjoy the thought of a random Goodreads person viewing my review and the comments people make about it. Wtf? Lol. This is what goodreads is all about. It's great fun."

You got it, Doug. Where else could you meet people from all over the world, all of whom are as book-obsessed as I am? I felt like a kid in a candy shop when I first found this place.

message 33: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura I need to see that "Life is Beautiful" film. Another friend had recommended it, but I tend to avoid anything depressing, so I've been shying away.

message 34: by Doug (new) - rated it 4 stars

Doug Bradshaw Life is Beautiful is an extremely touching and great moving.

message 35: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Oh yay, will def try and see it then. Thanks.

message 36: by Beth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth Knight This book is seriously twisted!

message 37: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Oh no! Worse than Sharp Objects?

Kelly I totally agree - I've met so many lovely people on GR...who knew?!

I always have to gear myself up for depressing book/movie topics such as WWII. Sarah's key almost did me in but it was good. I haven't even seen schindlers list! However, I found that I could handle life is beautiful...sooo heartbreaking yet there was hope. As in so many sad movies/books the resiliency of the human spirit triumphs over the evil that surrounds it.

message 39: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Kelly, I am so with you re: depressing reads and films. I too loved Sarah's Key though. But when I hear a word like "heartbreaking", I do tend to steer clear.

Kelly I hear you...the problem is we have to read them sometimes because often they are fantastic pieces of literature or eye opening books about something we need to be aware of. Slave by Mende nazar or the long way home are two of the latter. Same with war stories...I think we have to read about the past to keep it fresh in our minds. Although the world seems to keep warring instead of figuring out a way to all live in peace regardless of creed, race, religion, culture.....

In fact I'm reading a book about a princess in Saudi Arabia and it is horrifying the way women are treated in this century in the middle east. Makes me mad but it's better for me to be aware...also makes me appreciate the gift of living in the USA :)

message 41: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Good point!

Savvy Nice review (as usual) Doug! One of my book club members wanted to nominate it, but after we read Fify Shades of Grey...just needed some lighter summer stuff. But in the fall, we have IN THE LAKE OF THE WOODS by Tim O'Brien scheduled...take a peek at it...I've heard some really interesting reviews!

Savvy Well Doug...turns out it is one we will read in our book club!...I'll try to go in with total openness!