Katie's Reviews > The Newlyweds

The Newlyweds by Nell Freudenberger

Jun 09, 12

Read in June, 2012

I had a hard time putting this wonderful novel down. It's a story of a Bengali woman flying to Rochester, New York, to marry an American man she met online, and the lengths she goes to throughout the novel to bring her parents to America to live with them.

It was the best combination there can be in novels--a gripping plot (with lots of unexpected events) and great characterization. Also, I was truly surprised by the ending (and, although I found it somewhat sad and disappointing, was the more thought-provoking way it could have ended up).

There was a lot to ponder here in terms of cultural differences. Although the main character is Bengali, I found her easy to relate to and the cultural issues were illustrated well. There was a lot said and explored in this book about marriage, people's personalities within marriages, and different married couples' effects on those around them.

I really liked the structure of this book almost more than anything. Rather than a plot of increasing urgency that builds up to a single conflict at the end, there was a major conflict that occurred pretty much exactly halfway through the book, and from them on out, multiple other surprising plot twists occur. It kept me on my toes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Newlyweds.