UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick's Reviews > Acheron

Acheron by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Caution - this book is not for the faint of heart!

I'm going to keep this short because there are no words to adequately describe this book. It's one of the most emotional, gut wrenching, heartbreaking books I've ever read, but at the same time it was inspiring, uplifting and completely amazing. And I just can't find the words to do this book justice.

If you're a fan of Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter series, (and who isn't?) Acheron is a dream come true. We finally get the answers to so many questions and get into the heart of the true hero of the series. Acheron's story is so dark, so tragic and so gruesome, but our hero of heroes gets his happily ever after as well.

In general, the books in this series have fairly intense, explicit sexual scenes, but those parts of the book can be skipped over without losing the story if you're more comfortable doing so. I only mention this because in varying degrees, sex plays a big part in Acheron's story and some of it is emotionally, very dark.

The bottom line - This is one of my absolute favorite books ever, and I can't tell you how many tissues I went through by the time I was done reading it. I came away loving Ash even more than I had before, and with a deeper respect for him.
46 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Acheron.

message 1: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen This book is in my top 5. Talk about an emotional journey. It took it out of me.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Jen wrote: "This book is in my top 5. Talk about an emotional journey. It took it out of me."

I was a wreck after reading the first part. It took me a long time to get through but it was so, so worth it.

message 3: by L-D (new) - added it

L-D wow - can't wait to read this series. I think that I haven't started it yet because there are so many books in the series.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick There are a LOT of books! I'm about to start Retribution (Dark-Hunter, #20) by Sherrilyn Kenyon which is book 20.

Lynsey A This one was so hard to read, UM. I cried and cried and cried through the first part of the book.

I am quite behind in this series. I stopped reading them awhile ago. I stopped at the book where Stryker is the hero. Reading a book about a villain, one who perhaps will still remain a villain in the overall series, really doesn't appeal to me. However, I can't skip it because I have such OCD about reading books in order. Perhaps someday I'll get back to this series. I really, really want to read Retribution (Dark-Hunter, #20) by Sherrilyn Kenyon.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick I felt the same way, Lynsey, but I needed my Ash fix. I have Retribution sitting here waiting for me to decide to pick it up, but I find that I have to be able to really focus on the reading of these books, with no distractions, otherwise I get lost too easily.

Lynsey A With what happens in this book with Ash and Tori I really want to read it so I may have to pick up this series again sometime soon.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, Lynsey. It'll be interesting to see where it all goes.

Lynsey A Thanks for that, UM. I'll think about picking it up sometime.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick When you're ready. It wasn't as dark as some of them are. I'll be interested to see what you think of it. Nick's part was good.

message 11: by Lynsey A (last edited Aug 15, 2011 04:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynsey A Oh, Nick gets on my nerves! His blind hatred of Ash just grates on me. Also, I don't plan on reading the YA series about Nick she is writing. I may get slapped for this but IMO, I think it is just a money making thing. In all honesty, I haven't read them, obviously, but are they really needed? Do they add anything to this series?

Just my thoughts. Hope nobody hates me for saying it! :)

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick No one will hate you! LOL! My son is enjoying the YA version, but he's also read the adult version, too.

Nick bugs me, too but I think we'll end up loving him again.

Lynsey A Oh, I am sure we will love him again. I loved him before all of this started with (view spoiler)

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick I know. That really messed him up, didn't it?

Lynsey A It certainly did mess him up good.

message 16: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Carrasco Off

message 17: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Carrasco No the chronicles of nick was really good

message 18: by Nona (new) - added it

Nona I have a quick question.. I've never read SK before so can I read this book or do I need to start at the begining of the series?

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick A lot of people feel that Acheron can be read alone. It's written in 2 parts. His life before we meet him in the earlier books, and his life during the time we know him. Yes, I really do think you could read it first, but to fully appreciate Acheron, the man, and how far he has come in his existence, I'd read them in order.

That said, there are a crap load of books that came first, so it's understandable if you want to skip them.

The thing is, we get such an emotional connection to Ash in the earlier books... *sigh* I adore him.

message 20: by Nona (new) - added it

Nona lol ok fair enough I'll start looking and hoarding til I get to him then, you made it sound really good so thanx!

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Most libraries have them. That's how I started with the series. Then I loved the books so much, I started buying them up as keepers.

Acheron is now in paperback. It's a keeper. Buy it and hold on to. I have it in hardcover, bought it fresh off the press, LOVE it. ADORE it.

It's an emotionally draining story, but one you need to understand Ash's complexities and make his HEA truly amazing.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think you should read them in order.

**sigh** Sooo good.

message 22: by Liza (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liza This is the only book that has ever made me sob. Sure, I've shed some tears reading other books, but not the way I cried reading this book. There is a reason why Sherrilyn's fans call her the Author Goddess!

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick I've had sob moments in other books, but this ranks up there in the top 5, for sure.

Lynsey A I am the same for both of you. Although, I did cry pretty hard in Judith McNaught's Something Wonderful near the end (view spoiler).

message 25: by Sunny (new) - added it

Sunny I haven't started this series, but I had planned to soon. Reading this review is making me itch to read book one, but will I have to stamina to make it to #15?

message 26: by UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick (last edited Jul 19, 2013 12:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick It's definitely got staying power, Sunny! Give it a go. Technically, Fantasy Lover is book 1, and the characters do reappear in future books, but it's totally different from books 2 and forward.

message 27: by Gina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gina M Jordan I read Styxx 1st so I am prepared for this book but kind of disappointed it skips over the 9 years between Ash being taken by Estes & Ryssa ' s rescue attempt. Only on page 65 so far. Your review is great :)

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Thank you, Gina!! There's a lot of flashbacking in Acheron, if I remember correctly. I really need to buy the Kindle version and do a re-read.