Amanda's Reviews > The Value of Rain

The Value of Rain by Brandon Shire

Jun 12, 12

bookshelves: abuse, arc, glbtq, historic-fiction, standalone, indie
Read from June 09 to 12, 2012

This is one of those genre-defying books. Although classified as GLBTQ, it is so much more than a genre. Shires explores the devastating effects of prejudice, hate, secrets, and lies throughout family generations, and that is something that is simultaneously universal and tragic.

The book constantly takes the reader by surprise. The writing is particularly eloquent and strong in description, especially when describing painful topics. On the other hand, the dialogue sometimes struggles in comparison to the lyrical descriptions. I also loved and was totally shocked by the ending. That is not an easy thing to do to this reader.

Overall this book represents all that can be great about indie publishing. It is a deep, dark story with a minority, tragic hero that most likely would not be told at a traditional publishing house due to the fact that it does not easily fit into any one genre or marketing scheme. Of course, that is also why I love it.

Recommended to those with an interest in GLBTQ main characters and multi-generational family dramas.

Check out my full review. (Link will be live June 13, 2012).

Note: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Value of Rain.

06/10/2012