Sandi's Reviews > The Chosen One

The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams

Jun 09, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012, realistic-fic, young-adult
Read in May, 2012

At first I don’t trust Joshua. How would he even know what proper sexual behavior was? Yet, their flirtations are normal and innocent. Picture the way they are dressed as they are talking to each other? Shows that feelings are natural and universal.

Kyra’s dad seems kind, different from the other men, but let’s remember, he CHOSE this life likely as an adult. He knows the world outside and should not be brainwashed like Joshua. Wait, no he did not. He was also a teen when he chose his first wife.

But, he is still the one who should protect Kyra from having to marry his brother. And although it horrifies and sickens him, I don’t think he will fight to the death to protect his daughter. In that way he is a coward.

The story reminds me of Sold, as the girls’ existence in both stories is at the mercy of others. Their sexuality and body belong to others. Their bodies only to serve.

It was a really good story. I like how Kyra got away, ,more realistic than romantic since she did not run off with her boyfriend. The solution wasn’t easy for anyone (esp. poor bookmobile guy).

8th grade spring and up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chosen One.