liz's Reviews > The Lost Duke of Wyndham

The Lost Duke of Wyndham by Julia Quinn

Jun 09, 12

bookshelves: cheesy-romance-novel, historical
Read in June, 2012

I liked this book a LOT better than the other Julia Quinn book I just read. Again with the country-mouse heroine, who, following the death of her parents, was saved from marriage to her boorish cousin (double ew) by becoming companion to the dowager Duchess of Wyndham. One night their carriage is held up by a highwayman who happens to be the dowager's long-lost, unknown grandson. Naturally, consort and grandson end up falling in love, but until then there's some really well-drawn emotional intrigue. I also thought this book was notable for the depth of female friendships it portrayed - while it would have been absolutely feasible for the ladies to be competing amongst themselves for the possible duke, it never happened, which I really liked.

He looked about him, and it occurred to her that he did not seem cowed by the grandeur of his surroundings, just . . . amused.
No, not amused. It was more of a wry disbelief, as if he were still wondering if he could trade this all in and get himself kidnapped by a different dowager duchess. Perhaps one with a smaller castle.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Duke of Wyndham.