Jennifer Lane's Reviews > Whisper No Lies

Whisper No Lies by Cindy Gerard

Jun 13, 12

bookshelves: men-in-uniform, romantic-suspense, wounded-hero, recommended-by-goodreads-friend, psychology
Read from June 09 to 13, 2012

Thank you to Buggy for recommending this series! Whisper No Lies is the third book in the Black Ops romantic suspense series, and I enjoyed it immensely.

Though she doesn't look like your typical security agent, showty Crystal works for a casino in Las Vegas. She's a red-haired, green-eyed firecracker who doesn't take anyone's shit. She's best friend to Abbie, the heroine of Take No Prisoners, and met Black Ops team member Johnny Duane Reed while helping Abbie out of a tight spot in book #2.

Reed is a tall, lean, blond cowboy with an easy grin and a long list of female conquests. He's a love-'em-and-leave-'em type which makes Crystal quite wary, justifiably so.

I love Cindy Gerard's little one-liners, like:

"Damn, woman," Reed muttered, then walked inside the room and shut the door. He dropped down on his back on the bed, angrily folded his hands behind his head. "Thinks she's James freaking Bond."

This was why he'd always shied away from intelligent women. They were just too...intelligent.

She watched him move about the room, gathering his things, all buff and beautiful and capable and thought, So help me god, if he lets me down, I'm going to slit my wrists--right after I cut off his dangly parts."

This novel tackles the horrifying crime of human sex trafficking in a realistic manner. As a psychologist, I have worked with survivors of sexual abuse and this story makes me want to help these individuals even more. I wish Reed's background had a little more depth, but overall this is a wonderful story.

If you're a romantic suspense fan and haven't started this series, get on it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whisper No Lies.

06/09/2012 page 175
52.0% "Another great one."
06/11/2012 page 215
64.0% "Get Yao!"
06/11/2012 page 265
79.0% "Watch out Tinkerbell, he's ALIVE!"
06/11/2012 page 265
79.0% "Watch out Tinkerbell, he's ALIVE!" 4 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karla (new)

Karla Another great review! I'm glad you're enjoying this series Jennifer!

Jennifer Lane Thank you, Karla. I hope you have time to read this one day!

message 3: by Buggy (last edited Jul 29, 2012 08:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Buggy Jennifer, Ah yes Crystal and yummy, yummy Johnny Dwayne Reed. This is one of my fav's from the entire series. what a freakin sexy book this one is. I always pictured Sawyer from Lost as Reed, nice hey!

I knew you would like it just sorry I missed your review earlier

"Crystal and Reed are wonderful characters with intense interactions. Their chemistry is crackling with conflict and connection. When the conflict between them eventually smolders into a slow burn, any harsh word or avoided eye contact can reignite the fight. Not surprisingly, the sex between them is amazing. But both begin to wonder...is this more than sex? The idea of a relationship terrifies Reed, whose self-esteem is in the toilet thanks to an abusive father.

This is a perfect summery Jennifer and now you've made me want to read this book again too, okay maybe just the sexy parts :)

Jennifer Lane Ha ha! Ooo, Sawyer? Yummy yum yum. Loved Reed and I loved their chemistry.