Lady♥Belleza★✰'s Reviews > Monsters of Men

Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness

Jun 09, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: dystopian, ebook, fiction, library-book, young-adult-fiction-series
Read from June 09 to 13, 2012

This is the 3rd and final book. If you have not read the first two, there may be spoilers in this review. I also suggest you read these books in order.

My main reason for giving this book only 3 stars is I didn't enjoy it as much as the second. It was like the second built up the suspense and this book gradually let it out, which is a good thing as that make the ending believable. I still enjoyed this book, which is why I gave it 3 stars but I think I may have gotten worn out by the war, the dying, the weapons of mass destruction. It brings the ongoing conflicts, the three armies fighting for control to a believable conclusion. We get confirmation on just how evil and insane the Mayor is. We see the beneficial results from people working to redeem themselves from actions they regret.

"Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely" could be the moral of this book, it this book was trying to teach a lesson. It is never preachy, just showing what happens when one person wants to rule everything, how when they have that power it can change them, twist them horribly. It also shows how that power can be a force for good in the right persons hands.

Salvation for this planet comes from an unlikely source, but its not really surprising, it makes sense.

At times I wanted to slap Todd and Viola on the back of the head and shout, "Wake up! Can't you see what is in front of you?" However, they are just kids, kids thrust into adult rolls, charged with saving a planet and two species. The author remembers this, makes sure we remember it, through the help of adults that have the children's best interests at heart, the war ends.

Although I did not LOVE this book, I did enjoy it and feel it is a fitting end to the series. All lose threads tied up into a suitable ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monsters of Men.

06/12/2012 page 20