Lynda's Reviews > Where We Belong: A Novel

F 50x66
Feb 19, 13

liked it
Read in February, 2013

This is the first book by Emily Giffin that I have read. The story opens with one of two main characters, Marian Caldwell bringing up the topic of marriage with her long time boyfriend who is also her boss. Marian thinks her life is just what she always wanted - a good job as a television producer, a penthouse apartment, and a boyfriend to share her life. When Peter balks at the idea of marriage and they argue, Marion goes home alone. Later that evening, when the doorbell rings, Marion assumes it is Peter coming to apologize. Instead, Kirby Rose, the second main character is at her door. Kirby is the daughter Marian gave up for adoption eighteen years ago. The rest of the book alternates between Kirby and Marian's stories. Kirby is struggling to find herself and her place in the world. Marian discovers that keeping her past a secret is no longer possible and her world changes completely. It was interesting to see the parallels in the lives of Kirby and Marian as they struggle with the changes in their lives. The ending was rather ambiguous which keeps these characters in the reader's mind for a long time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where We Belong.