Dolly's Reviews > Cinco de Mayo: Celebrating the Traditions of Mexico

Cinco de Mayo by Diane Hoyt-Goldsmith

1019021
Jun 09, 12

bookshelves: 2012, childrens, dance, military, money, nonfiction, other-usa, poetry-song-music, france-french, english, south-central-america, spain-spanish-hispanic, cooking-recipes, religion-philosophy
Recommended for: parents reading with their children
Read from May 29 to June 07, 2012, read count: 1

This is an interesting, but rather detailed book about the history of the Cinco de Mayo celebration. Quite a few historical facts are highlighted in the book as are the cultural background from one of Mexico's most popular holidays. The way in which the Mexican culture is passed on to the children in California is a central focus of the story and the photographs are very interesting. We are shown some of the dances, songs, clothing, food and traditions that are part of the celebration.

Our girls were quite bored with this book fairly quickly, so I would only read a couple of pages each night. We started reading it because our girls asked about Cinco de Mayo, but by the time we finished the book, I think they were sorry they had asked. I liked the book and thought it was very educational for all of us. Our girls were more interested in the parts that showed the children and their involvement in the various activities. I think it would have been more interesting for our girls if the narrative had been edited down a bit more, but on the whole it was an educational book and a worthwhile read.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinco de Mayo.