Laura's Reviews > All the Right Stuff

All the Right Stuff by Walter Dean Myers

1965954
Jun 09, 12

Read from June 06 to 07, 2012

I loved the characters' voices in this book. The story was engaging and the protagonist quite likable. And honestly, the book made me interested in that combination of political science and philosophy that I don't generally find interesting, which is quite an accomplishment.

The only thing that didn't quite ring true was the likelihood that the main character, Paul, would encounter two older men both wanting to converse with him about the social contract and what it means to them. I could believe that either Elijah, the older man running the soup kitchen, or Sly, a younger man with a somewhat shady reputation, would want to talk with Paul about what makes the world work, but it seemed implausible that he would, in the course of a summer, run into both of them and end up having long conversations with both of them about the social contract.

Of course, it's Mr. Myers' world and he can manipulate reality to suit his needs, but it was the one false note in an otherwise interesting tale that will get teens talking about important issues.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All the Right Stuff.