Heidi's Reviews > Among Others

Among Others by Jo Walton

Nov 06, 2013

bookshelves: reviewed, unfinished, ebook, fantasy
Recommended for: hardcore SFF geeks

I don't exactly remember at what point in the book I gave up on it. Perhaps 100 pages in, perhaps a little less or more. All I know is that those pages where a chore and one 'Huh?' moment after another.
There should have been a warning somewhere on or inside the book: Read this only if you've gobbled up every work of science fiction and fantasy in existence. Either that or a list with the books Walton is referring to, of which I knew exactly one, The Lord of the Rings.

I like books about books, but I don't like books which I can only enjoy and understand if my literary taste matches that of the author and requires me to have read a large amount of very specific other books. Books which are mostly not even widely known classics.

The main character is rather annoying, this very special and oh-so-different nerdy & geeky girl I couldn't relate to at all, but that only played a minor role in my giving up on this novel.

I won't rate Among Others; I can't tell if it's good or bad or anything in between. I'm clearly not a member of the target audience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Among Others.