Andy's Reviews > Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine

Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine by Jason Aaron

Jun 09, 12

bookshelves: comics, spider-man
Read on June 09, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I'd heard good things about this team-up and they're well deserved. Jason Aaron is basically given free reign to write a ridiculous story involving a whining Pete and a grumpy Logan jumping around time trying to work out what the hell is happening and why. It's complete fun, barking mad and really very enjoyable to read. Petes voice seems completely genuine given that Aaron doesn't normal write him; Wolverine is as you'd expect. There are so many nice moments and a lot of humour. I particularly enjoyed Czar and his future selves. Some people have complained of the lack of significance of the story to greater continuity (and there is a sense of 'none of this really matters) but when it's done this well I can't find much to complain about.

Adam Kubert absolutely kills it with the artwork, from the small character pieces to Doom the Living Planet, the set pieces are thrilling, the fights kinetic and the splash pages gorgeous to look at (especially the 3 page pull out of Wolvie and Doom).

I often feel that Spider-Man lacks the great stand alone stories of other characters but here we have the perfect tale. It's completely Spider-Man, happily sits alongside regular continuity but doesn't require any prior knowledge; a very fun self contained story that really showcases what comics can do. Well recommended.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine.