KellyElaine's Reviews > The Four Loves

The Four Loves by C.S. Lewis

Jun 08, 12

Read in June, 2012 — I own a copy

This was by far an easier read than the other Lewis books I've read but no less brilliant. I enjoy Lewis's analogies and unique perspective on "common" subjects. I had been interested in reading this book for quite some time having seen some excerpts and quotes here and there. He did not disappoint. I am an analyzer; I like to break things down and "figure them out" when it comes to abstract concepts and such. Lewis does a great job with this very difficult-to-pin-down ideal of love.

He identifies four different "types" of love--affection, friendship, eros, and charity--while conceding that at times what we experience with one person is not necessarily only one of those types but sometimes a blend. He provides thorough exploration of each type with plenty of examples to clarify his distinctions. Though some parts (particularly the chapter on friendship) brought up some definition and identification of the type that was unfamiliar, it all made sense. Though we may use the term "friend" to cover a whole spectrum of relationship types, his point that a friend is truly much more narrowly defined is a valid one. I especially enjoyed that chapter.

Overall, I found it to be a satisfactory exploration of the different types of relationships and interactions most of us engage in on a regular basis.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Four Loves.