Monaliz's Reviews > Confessions of an Angry Girl

Aug 21, 2012

bookshelves: ebook, read-2012, favorites, from-netgalley, wishlist
Read from August 03 to 04, 2012

My rating: 4/5 stars
Read the review in my blog!

May contain some spoilers
Meet Rose, a fourteen year old freshman, aka. "The Angry Girl".

And why is she angry? Well, she lost her father, her mother isn't exactly "emotionally available", her brother left them for college (and a girl) and her best friend is kidnapped by the aliens, I mean, the cheerleaders.
And of course, there's the hottie/bad boy of the school. Who has a girlfriend but still kind of made out with Rose..

No wonder she's pissed off.

No surprise, I really enjoyed this one, since I'm the number one fan of the rollercoasteremotions! And believe me, there's lots of that, since Rose is having problems basically with everyone in her life.
Her mother, as mentioned, isn't emotionally available, since she lost her husband. And it's understandable to be devastated, but she kinda takes it over the top and basically starts ignoring her children and doesn't really know what to do with Rose. Which is almost funny, since she's a therapist.
Then there's Rose's brother, who left for college. They still talk in the phone all the time, until he decides it's time to move on and start living like a student, meaning partying and a girlfriend. And after he starts skipping homevisits, Rose can't really stand him.

Rose doesn't really have anyone beside her family, except her best friend Tracy, who has lost her mind and doesn't really think about anything else but losing her virginity and cheerleading. And since Rose isn't dating anyone, she doesn't really get all the fuss! And she's suspicious about Tracy's boyfriend and what his motives really are, so there's some really big clouds over their friendship.
Tracy is quite irritating best friend, she just want to be so awesome, but is just.. clueless. And irritating.

The juiciest, and worst part, about this book was the love triangle. This time we get a guy with two girls, which was quite refreshing (I'll get to the worst part soon). The first girl is, of course, Rose. And the second? Who other than the queen bee of the school and ultimate bully Regina. This creates some complications, no surprise, and some exciting moments! But then to the worst part. As mentioned earlier, Rose is fourteen. Sorry, I meant FOURTEEN . After this realization, I struckled. A lot.
I couldn't stop thinking that these kids are just that. KIDS. I'm double her age, but I still can clearly remember the time when I was fourteen and there's a huge difference if you're fourteen, or sixteen, or even seventeen! But fourteen year old girl trying to sleep with her boyfriend and drinking and partying and being the other woman? Hell no! I usually adore love triangles, but when there's a fourteen year old little girl involved, I can't really enjoy it.
Call me old fashioned, but a fourteen year old girl really shouldn't be doing those things. I draw the line in sixteen years, since that's the time I really started partying and doing all the "boy-stuff". But I was old enough to know my limits, or at least I was much wiser than age fourteen. Or stupider, but yeah. That's the "don't-drink-or-sleep-with-anyone-before-this-age"- line for me, apparently. I think I was playing with my dolls when I was fourteen!

But this still was really enjoyable read! And since Rose is older in the next book, I suspect I won't be having that much trouble with the age issue then!

Huge thanks to NetGalley and Harlequin Teen for providing a review copy!

Love,
Monaliz @ Mind Reading?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confessions of an Angry Girl.

08/03/2012 page 46
15.0% "Good so far! Finally something to break the dry spell I've been having with my reading! Though I should be writing reviews right now.."

Caro [The Book Rogue] Looking forward to your rating, I hope you enjoy. =)

Monaliz D wrote: "Looking forward to your rating, I hope you enjoy. =)"
Only about 40 pages to go and I'm done! And I'm definitely enjoying so far :)