Amy's Reviews > Stuart Little

Stuart Little by E.B. White

Jun 20, 12

Read from June 16 to 20, 2012

** spoiler alert ** This is a strange little book. I liked it, but I didn't love it. I had not read this before and it was rather sweet and explained the fantasy like world to a certain degree but a few things bothered me. In a world where a talking mouse born to humans is accepted (fair enough), I did like how Stuart was explained to manage in the big world with the tap for example and getting on a bus. Sometimes his character got up my nose because in a way he reminded me of Mary Poppins (in the books); a little conceited and took great offense when someone questioned him or his character. The relationships in this book are sweet but again something about them, especially towards the end bugged me. Not only was it terribly unfair and mean for Margalo to just up and leave, but even knowing the anguish of not knowing where she went, Stuart up and leaves from his parents too. He became a rather selfish and a little to straightforward then, especially around the relationship with the Harriet Ames. As for the ending, I don't always need or require closure in a book, but stopping abruptly sometimes does nothing either. I suppose we could say we are left to ponder whether Stuart will ever find Margalo again, every return home, or whether he'll get eaten by a cat around the next corner. There wasn't a lot to make you expect he'll find her, in all his travels she might have flown home in Spring to find him missing. But those with hope and confidence in their close friendship can know in their heart he will find her again. Whether they return home is another question altogether.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stuart Little.