Poingu's Reviews > The Lifeboat

The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan

Aug 30, 12

Read in May, 2012

I read the book very quickly and enjoyed it as I read it, and then I got to the end and I thought, huh. Just..huh. It left me with no other thought except a certain neutral feeling that I was glad that was over and I could read the next book.

So is it enough for a book to be entertaining while you read it, and then forgettable? I guess that should be enough, only this was ground that has been covered better before, by Alfred Hitchcock. But where Alfred Hitchcock's film is visceral and tense, in this book, because the narrator has every reason to hold things back from the reader, there is a certain distance set up between her and the reader. This narrative choice makes it hard to care about the story much beyond the time it takes to turn the pages to the end. The climax in particular felt flat because of this distancing effect of the narrative voice.

In spite of these flaws I really admire the skill of this first time author and I hope she takes more chances with her next book, which I plan to try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lifeboat.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lauri Good review of a bad book. Huh? Is my sentiment too.

message 2: by Philippa (new)

Philippa Who brought the charges against the 3 women? Who thought they had murdered Hardie?

Leadis Jarvis Great review - I felt the exact same way when I finished. The writing was good and the story had some compelling moments, but I feel there were too many shallow aspects and the character of grace felt unfinished.

Michelle All well said! I was intrigued throughout, but also kept waiting for more to happen.

Teresa and why did they kill Hardie? and what was that when she thought she killed her husband? ending made no sense.

message 6: by Liz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liz I agree completely. It just kinda fizzled out and made no real impact, with a really weak "twist". If you can even call it that.

Karen I agree. The ending left too many unanswered questions. I liked the story's premise, and it was well written, but weakly structured.

Trudy I so agree. I have no sense of closure here. Actually, I'm a little annoyed. It's like the author lost her nerve at the end.

Kathy I also agree. The ending was....not an ending. I think I could have ended it with more finality then she married her lawyer... Where did that come from?

message 10: by K (new) - rated it 4 stars

K Castor des neiges Agreed...really just wanted to be done with it, but did enjoy the experience for the most part.

message 11: by Abi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Abi So glad others agree. Just got to the end and thought "is that it?" So many unanswered questions. What was the story about the jewels all about? What happened to Blake and the other lifeboat? What was in the small box Hardie was hiding?

message 12: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Nylander You nailed it! Thanks for putting that "meh" feeling into real words.

Theresa French Glad I am not the only one who felt like there should have been something 'more' given the build up of the story. However, I did enjoy the read, despite the ending, but I agree with you when you say it is disappointing to have a book be so forgettable.

Constable Reggie Abi wrote: "So glad others agree. Just got to the end and thought "is that it?" So many unanswered questions. What was the story about the jewels all about? What happened to Blake and the other lifeboat? What ..."

I kept thinking that this must have started as a short story, and the author was asked to make it longer so it could be sold as a book. Her padding the book with those things without really having a good reason to throw them in is the only explanation I can come up with for all those threads you mention that started but went absolutely nowhere. Very weird choices on her part.