Christine's Reviews > The Age of Miracles

The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker

Jun 11, 12

Read on June 08, 2012

This book is about a family in California who are dealing with a changed world after the earth's rotation inexplicably slows down. Everyone has to try and cope with the lengthy days, dying crops and animals, and changes in weather. Soon enough, it becomes apparent that people can't live the way they did before and the end of world may be just around the corner.

Julia was the main character in this story, and she was a typical 11 year old girl trying to figure out boys, bras, and friendships. When the earth slowed down, it added a very serious dimension to her life and certainly darkened her future, but she still had to deal with everyday life. She seemed to be a thoughtful and serious character that was concerned about her friends and family.

The other characters were intriguing, but perhaps not as developed as one may like. We see them from Julia's 11 year old perspective and don't always get to find out everything that happened to them or their motivations. Of course, many adults hide bad things from kids and this seemed to be the case in the book as well.

Overall, I enjoyed this book and read it in one sitting. I found the premise interesting and the author's writing very engaging. The story never got too terribly complicated and I didn't expect it to be as it was from Julia's point of view.

If you take this book for what it is and don't over think it or want all the scientific information explained to you it is a good story. If you are looking for all the answers I don't think you will enjoy it as much.

I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. Thank you!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Age of Miracles.

06/08/2012 page 288