Stephanie's Reviews > Crucible of Gold

Crucible of Gold by Naomi Novik

2031409
Jun 08, 2012

bookshelves: adventure, fantasy, high-school, historical, kindle

Temeraire series #7
high school & up

Laurence & Temeraire continue their adventures; they have resigned themselves to settling in Australia when an old acquaintance from China arrives. He brings with him the possibility of restoring Laurence's rank and requests that they come to the aid of the beleaguered Prince Regent of Portugal. The Prince Regent is currently in Brazil and Portugal is key to the hope of beating Napoleon.

Oh, I love this series. Temeraire and Laurence are quite out of the common way, I'm sure. Check out Fantastic Fiction to get the list of novels in order.

The series is basically historical fiction with a dash of fantasy thrown in for good measure. Although it isn't usual fantasy. It is simply that dragons exist and are used by many countries as part of their military forces. Naomi does a great job of making this sound perfectly reasonable. After all, if you had a fire-breathing dragon wouldn't you want to use him to break a blockade?
She has really done a great job of imagining the necessary details that come along with having a bunch of dragons in the military. What is really interesting is some of the ideas that Temeraire comes up with about society and a dragon's place in it. I love Temeraire; he is so earnest and funny. He makes a great counterpart to Laurence who is every inch an officer and a gentleman. Laurence sees it as as necessity to do whatever his duty requires of him. His duty to the military and to King and Country. He actually reminds me of Ashley from Gone with the Wind (my favorite book since the 5th grade) , but I like Laurence much better. He isn't a wuss the way Ashley was.

Verdict: highly recommended and in fact I just bought the first three books for my dad's birthday.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crucible of Gold.