Steve's Reviews > The Lost History of Christianity: The Thousand-Year Golden Age of the Church in the Middle East, Africa, and Asia--and How It Died

The Lost History of Christianity by Philip Jenkins

Jun 30, 12

Read from June 23 to 30, 2012

A remarkable study of history that was largely unknown to me--like most people I associated the History of Christianity predominantly with Europe. It was amazing to learn the the Persian Empire of the first 500 years of the CE was just as amenable to the spread of Christianity as the Roman Empire. The book also includes thoughtful analysis of the decline and "extinction" of faiths and their survival and resurgence. Highly recommended.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost History of Christianity.

06/23/2012 page 16
show 12 hidden updates…

message 1: by Lily (new)

Lily So, do you recommend this one? (Just read your review of Turing's Cathedral. I'm about to recommend it to the Brain Pain crowd.)

Steve Lily wrote: "So, do you recommend this one? (Just read your review of Turing's Cathedral. I'm about to recommend it to the Brain Pain crowd.)"

I expect I will, but I am only halfway through it now. I'll finish it in a day or two.

A further comment about Turing's Cathedral--read it, don't listen to an unabridged recording as I did. There is a lot of material in it that I feel should have been edited out or put in footnotes, and it's much easier to skip over that when reading, rather than listening. Also--I would strongly recommend reading The Idea Factory at the same time as Turing's Cathedral. There is some overlap in characters, but more important both books deal with innovation during the 1930s-1950s and demonstrate how New Jersey was the "silicon valley" of post-WWII America.

message 4: by Lily (last edited Jun 25, 2012 02:05PM) (new)

Lily Steve wrote: "...A further comment about Turing's Cathedral--read it, don't listen to an unabridged recording as I did...."

Ah, my view of listening vs reading TC is the opposite of yours, Steve! I suspect that if I had tried to read it, I would have gotten so bogged down in the trivia that I would have already put it aside. By listening, I feel as if I am getting the gist of the story without getting stuck in the muck. (And I can laugh at least some of the excess details.) But, I am perhaps missing capturing some things I would otherwise underline or copy, depending too much on memory.

Still, overall, I suspect part of the difference depends on when and where and why one is reading or listening.