Tony's Reviews > The Yard

The Yard by Alex Grecian

Jun 08, 12

bookshelves: fiction-crime-detection
Read in June, 2012

THE YARD. (2012). Alex Grecian. ***.
About one-quarter of the way through this debut thriller, I wondered why I was reading it. As I reached the half-way point, I was still wondering why. The answer was that the novel was plot propelled and serially imagined so that you always wanted to know what would happen next. It’s not great literature, but it’s a great thriller. It’s set in Victorian London, where the search for Jack the Ripper has essentially stopped by personnel at the yard and the level of esteem for the London police by London citizens has reached its low point. Now a new type of killer – much like Jack the Ripper – turns up, but this time the victims are policemen. A new department has been started at Scotland Yard – the Murder Squad. It is their responsibility to investigate and solve murders, only. There are twelve members on the squad (actually, there are only eleven; one of the appointees had retired before he accepted the assignment) and a new man to London has been put in charge of solving the first murder, when...a second murder occurs. Corpses keep turning up throughout the book, and we realize that there is more than one murderer at large. This is sure to be a best seller. The author has the formula down pat.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Yard.