Kindle Gal's Reviews > Forever and a Day

Forever and a Day by Jill Shalvis

Review and author mini-interview posted on Kindles & Wine

This. This is my favorite Lucky Harbor book.

What’s that, you say? I already said this before? Well I can’t help it. Blame it on the author—she keeps upping her game with each book in this series.

Dr. Josh Scott (aka McSexy, Dr. McHottie, Hunkalicious Doctor) is overworked, overtired, and teetering on the edge of sanity. He thinks he’s taking care of everybody and everything, but with all that’s going on, he’s essentially unavailable. This poses a serious problem because he is the single father to an adorable 5-year-old son and serves as the father figure to his wheelchair-bound younger sister, both of whom live with him full time. I was exhausted reading about Josh’s day-to-day existence as an ER doc and manager of his father’s practice, as well as the effect it had on his family and the guilt it caused him. He needed help, like, five years ago.

Meet Grace Brooks. I love how she enters Josh’s life due to a misunderstanding and makes a not-so-glamorous first impression. In fact, she’s a total disaster as she muddles her way through her first few days on the job. I immediately loved Grace’s combination of optimism, spunkiness, ineptitude, and sheer determination. She initially agrees to help Josh out of a desperate need of her own—she’s jobless, broke, and on the verge of having to admit failure to her genius parents who think she’s about to make it big as a hot-shot investment banker. She has zero experience to do the jobs Josh needs, but he’s in a bind and she needs the cash.

I really liked how Josh and Grace’s relationship developed over the course of the book. It was very natural and believable, and the distinction of who was helping whom kept changing. Loved that! Plus their attraction and chemistry was off the charts!!

Then there was the strained relationship between Josh and his 21-year-old sister, Anna. Left a highly functioning paraplegic from the same accident that killed their parents five years ago, Anna is bitter and cynical and directs most of her angst at Josh. He’s her primary support system, but because he feels so much guilt and is so protective of her, Josh is unable to do anything other than antagonize Anna.

This is where Grace steps in and becomes that character in a book you hope you're like in real life. Despite not having her own life figured out and having a myriad of I-want-to-crawl-in-a-hole-and-die-of-embarrassment moments, Grace proves to be the glue that holds everything together. She calls everyone out on their shit. She doesn’t sugarcoat it but there’s a backdrop of genuine kindness behind everything she says or does, which is why it works. For example, with Anna, she says: “You don’t get an ass-pass just because you’re handicapped, no matter what you think. And to be honest, you don’t seem all that handicapped.”

The way the story unfolds with Grace helping everyone around her and finding out who and what makes her happy, and Josh learning to let go of his need to control and do everything and just be present for his family is really, really beautiful.

I’m admittedly a big fan of Jill Shalvis, but I’m telling you, FOREVER AND A DAY tops all the rest. Not only does it have her trademark laugh-out-loud humor, a hero to swoon over, a heroine you’d want as a best friend, their sweet and very sexy romance, and a slew of quirky secondary characters, it also has a story with a ton of heart and emotional depth that sets it apart from the other books in the Lucky Harbor series.

Bottom Line
I so loved this book! It’s a story of family, friendship, loyalty, and being brave enough to find and choose your own “happy.” If you are a fan of contemporary romance and haven’t already preordered FOREVER AND A DAY, run—don’t walk—and go do it now!

***5 STARS***
Rating: A+

ARC courtesy of Grand Central Publishing via NetGalley

Favorite Dialogue Excerpts
"...Taking into account his schedule, and then the standard deviation from the average man's schedule, I figure ninety percent of his time would go elsewhere. I'd never get uninterrupted coitus."
"Penis math," Amy said. "Impressive." She looked at Mallory. "See, this is why a guy shouldn’t date an accountant."

Ty pointed his beer at Josh. "Want to know what I think?"
"No," Josh said.
"I think you have a case of being a little girl. Maybe you should prescribe yourself a heavy dose of man-the-fuck-up."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forever and a Day.

07/03/2012
07/06/2012
22.0% "LOL, the Grace Show was hilarious! Love this heroine!!"
07/06/2012
33.0% "Holy smoking chemistry!!!!"
07/08/2012
50.0% "Grace might be my fave Lucky Harbor heroine. Love her!"
07/09/2012
60.0% "LMAO, "penis math!""
07/10/2012
66.0% "I'm so in love with the Hunkalicious Doctor!!!!"
07/13/2012
100.0% "I cried, I loved this one so much! Full review coming soon."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz (new) - added it

Liz Holy crap!! This sounds SO good!!!! I like when I can laugh AND cry in the same book. I'm not a crier either but man, sometimes, these books just GRAB onto you, y'know?! This is definitely going on my TBR!!! Thank you for the AWESOME review!!!!!

Kindle Gal Liz wrote: "Holy crap!! This sounds SO good!!!! I like when I can laugh AND cry in the same book..."

I'm not usually a crier either but this one got me. Definitely let me know when this hits the top of your TBR! <3