Melissa's Reviews > Spells

Spells by Aprilynne Pike

Jan 02, 14

bookshelves: books-i-own
Read in June, 2010

Last year I enjoyed Pike's debut novel, Wings, and gave it four stars. I think her sophomore effort is even better and shows some of her growth as a writer. As with her first book, Pike still paces the story well and I think the prose and dialogues are improved from Wings. There is almost a no-nonsense approach to the story and I really appreciate the fact that events are constantly moving--I never once felt like the story was dragging.

I still enjoy the love triangle aspect (Laurel-David-Tamani), as overdone as it might be in YA fiction these days. I think Pike is working it well, though, and as with the first book, it makes for some interesting events throughout the story. Perhaps the best part of the book, however, is the last few pages. Yes, we have a cliffhanger, but I was intrigued by the direction Pike began to take the story with those final scenes. Also adding to this series was the detailed world-building we saw with respect to Avalon. I now have a much clearer, more vivid picture of Pike's faerie world and I am anxious to return to it in the third book, where I feel we will have limitless possibilities.

If you enjoyed Wings, I certainly think that you will enjoy its sequel and encourage you to give it a try. Pike's faerie world is magical and quite different from some of the other faerie series I have read, and the ending is sure to leave you wanting more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spells.