Jeff Raymond's Reviews > Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Blood

Wonder Woman, Vol. 1 by Brian Azzarello

Jun 21, 12

bookshelves: books-i-own, read-graphic-novels-trades
Read on June 19, 2012

I ultimately enjoyed this less than my rating would indicate. I'm extremely torn about this reboot, and I'm not sure if it's because the author positioned it as a horror comic and, well...it's not? I certainly didn't get that vibe from it, and when you have an actual horror comic like Animal Man to point to, it's a different story.

Regardless, this is a reboot in the thinnest sense possible. The storyline would fit right in with some of the existing previous arcs, but is a decent refresh nonetheless. The problem, again, is that Azzarello really doesn't seem to know what he wants to do with the character. The result is an interesting, mythology-heavy arc that is fun but not entirely memorable. It may be asking a lot in the first six issues of a reboot of what is an iconic character, but I think I was expecting more.

I'm not saying avoid the book by any means, but I do have expectations that we'll see some improvement in the later issues.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wonder Woman, Vol. 1.