Jill's Reviews > Call of the Sea

3820197
Jun 08, 12

bookshelves: 2012-debuts, fantasy-pnr-sci-fi-romance
Read in June, 2012

Daniel O’Roarke is a selkie, half-human half-seal. Kicked out of home by his father when he was ten, Daniel has spent the last three years in his selkie form. Tired and alone, and yearning to embrace his humanity again, Daniel applies for a job on board Captain Winters' ship the Siren's Call.

For Elysandra (Ellie), the ten year-old daughter of Captain Winters, her pull to the sea is so strong that she will defy her father to hide on board his ship. Swimming out to the ship at anchor, she nearly drowns until she is saved by Daniel. Hoping to stem his wild and willful daughter, Ellie is sent away to boarding school. After five years of being caged-in at school and with her call to the sea as strong as ever, she finally manages to run away to sea on board a ship captained by one of her father's competitors, and disguised as a boy.

Set in Newquay, England and the high seas, from 1655 through to 1665, this is a lovely first novel. The descriptions of Daniel's transforming from selkie to human are painfully vivid. The life on board ship as a privateer is well-described. Daniel is a worthy and likable hero.

The heroine Ellie was not as appealing and I did find her actions willful and selfish. Admittedly she is young and her call of the sea is strong. It does seem a little implausible though that she could have concealed her female identity aboard a ship full of men for five years. And the ending felt a little abrupt and inconclusive.

The protagonists are young (Daniel is twenty-three, Ellie twenty) and this may be considered a YA novel. It does read at times like a YA, but there is some sexual content and a descriptive love scene.

With plenty of action and adventure, a sweet romance (with a bit of heat), Call of the Sea is a very good fantasy debut.

Steam: 2.5

ARC courtesy of Inkspell Publishing

11 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Call of the Sea.

message 1: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Great review, Jill.

Love the cover, and the time period and location sounds great.

Jill Thanks Hannah! Gosh you're quick, I barely got this review up.
It was a really lovely story and a bit different to my normal read. And I agree the cover is exceptional.

message 3: by Karla (new)

Karla Sounds interesting. Nice review Jill!

Jill Thankyou Karla! Nice little debut and something different.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Great review, Jill! Well, this one is not for me though. :-)

Jill Thanks Baba! I think one of these days you're going to try a fantasy or pnr! Lol!

message 7: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Great review Jilly! Nope, doesn't sound like my "cuppa tea". :D

Jill Thanks Wen. Nah, I don't think it's something you'd enjoy. Still, there's plenty of books for everyone....

message 9: by KatLynne (new)

KatLynne Love your reviews Jilly! This one sounds interesting.

message 10: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill KatLynne wrote: "Love your reviews Jilly! This one sounds interesting."

Thanks KatLynne! Love yours too!! And am expecting more since you're now at NetGalley!

message 11: by KatLynne (new)

KatLynne LOL..Thanks Jilly! Let's keep our fingers crossed I'll keep being approved:)