Mell's Reviews > Insatiable

Insatiable by Meg Cabot

Jun 24, 12

bookshelves: fiction, supernatural-science-fiction-and-fa, vampires
Read from June 14 to 24, 2012

Life is short, and there are many good books to read in the world. This Book (the first of Cabot's that I have read) isn't one of them, so I have decided not to fully read the last few chapters. I've read enough to know that I don't care what happens to the characters. I'm not in school anymore, there is no quiz, and I don't have to read it.

Here are some thoughts on the book, in no particular order:

-This began well, with lots of smart sarcasm and characters that seemed interesting. The circumstances and plots of the soap operas were funny, and the satirical over-the-top stuff was entertaining.

-I initially thought Meena was great. Her talent is both a terrible burden and an interesting read. And her attempts to save people are noble. But as the book went on, I just stopped caring. One of the big problems is that the book is too long, scenes go on and on, etc.

-The book jumped the tracks for me during the (way too wordy) scene in Meena's apartment during her first encounter with the vampire hunter. It felt absurd, especially in light of her brother's reactions. If the slapstick was supposed to be satirical, it fell flat. A world class vampire hunter wouldn't take note of and watch the balcony? Also- the brother's enthusiasm for the vampire hunter and his willingness to let this stranger manhandle his sister made me want to use that sword on him.

-I can't quite decide if this book is a bad parody of Dracula. I know EVERY vampire novel is a kind of homage to Bram Stoker. I'm not sure if I'm reading too much into the fact that the main characters of this book are named Meena and Jon(athan) Harper. Stoker's characters were Mina and Jonathan Harker. If the book were a good parody, I would find this funny. Instead, it seems a bit sad.

-I notice on Goodreads that there is a sequel. I'm not going to read it. It gets hammered in reviews even worse than this book does, so I'm going to pass.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insatiable.

06/15/2012 page 301
67.0% "So- this started out so well! But jumped the tracks about half way through. Ugh. Absurd."
06/20/2012 page 301
67.0% "yeah, should get back to this. maybe this weekend. i'm not exactly dying to get back. bad sign. if a book's good, i'll read til my eyes cross."