Deb's Reviews > Compulsively Mr. Darcy

Jun 08, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: chick-lit, fiction, jane-austen-ish
Read in June, 2012

I don't know quite what to say about this modern re-telling of Pride and Prejudice. I love a good P&P variation or adaptation. I wanted to love this one, at times I liked it, most other times it annoyed me. It did have the potential to be great. In this version Darcy has OCD and depression (handled well) and Elizabeth is a doctor specializing in infectious diseases. They meet in Vietnam where Bingley (who has ADHD) gets in an accident and ends up at the hospital Elizabeth is volunteering at keeping her sister Jane who is heading up an orphanage company. There are a series of misunderstandings of course--starting from Elizabeth first thinking Darcy and Bingley are a couple. Some of the supporting characters had good and different story lines but many of them, like Bingly and Jane there wasn't any depth or passion. It was the details that really bothered me. I liked how Elizabeth dealt with Darcy's issues--humor and patience, but found her to be too ditzy and clueless about life for a 28-year-old doctor. Some of the wording bugged me. There was an awful lot of "she screamed" and "he shouted" in their "arguments"--annoying--where they really screaming and shouting that much or just arguing in loud voices? Also at one point in a bedroom scene the author writes that "he spilled his broth into her..." Ewwww. Were they having sex or eating soup?!? At one point Darcy refers to the BBC production of P&P--that Elizabeth and Georgina made him watch and all I could think was--didn't it strike him as strange that the characters in that show and the movie adaptation they watched had the same names as him and everyone he knows? This book got a fair amount of good reviews here and on Amazon, but it just didn't grab me enough.

3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Compulsively Mr. Darcy.