Amanda's Reviews > Oppression

Oppression by Jessica Therrien

Jun 08, 12

bookshelves: ebooks-read
Read in June, 2012

Didn't really end up liking this book, although I read the whole thing. I thought the story and idea were pretty interesting, but the book wasn't very exciting, and it felt slow paced and uneventful. Basically the main character hangs out with her friends and boyfriend a lot, but then nothing really happens until the very very end. I just wanted more excitement, more war, more rebellion. Maybe I'm used to reading Game of Thrones, where tons of stuff happens in just a few chapters.

I also never really connected to the characters. They didn't seem to have too much original personality, as if the fact that they have powers and age slowly is supposed to be interesting enough. The main romantic relationship didn't have much foundation other than the fact they were immensely physically attracted to each other, and because they were prophesized to be together. The main female character keeps talking about how attractive her boyfriend is, how amazing his eyes are, how wonderful his smile is. Not anything about his intelligence or humor or opinions about important things. I found myself more interested in Kara's character; she seemed much more complex and interesting than the other mostly one-sided characters.

The writing is pretty average, not very moving or thoughtful or metaphorical or deep. The writing isn't bad though, and the idea is good, this just isn't the book for me.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oppression.