Verity's Reviews > Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home

Mennonite in a Little Black Dress by Rhoda Janzen

Jun 08, 12

bookshelves: auto-biography, chick-lit, fun, non-fiction
Read in February, 2011

I loved this book.
I'm generally not a fan of these kinds of memoirs, finding them stuffed with self-pity and depression. Janzen however, has completely converted me!
Her writing is laugh-out-loud funny- ( I had to stop reading it on the train to work after attracting some strange looks as I outright chuckled and spluttered into my book).
It is because of Janzen's humour I enjoyed this book so much. Of course it is filled with unhappy occurences, written at a time when the author's life seemingly couldn't have been any worse, but at no point does Janzen display any form of self pity. She has a cry, she has a lot of laughs with wonderful friends and family and she moves on. This book is what I wish Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat Pray Love had been- spiritual without being in-your-face, beautiful without being gushing and personal without being boastful or downright self-obsessed.
I finished this book feeling like I'd made a great friend, a really uplifting beautiful memoir from a wonderful Woman.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mennonite in a Little Black Dress.