Julie-anne's Reviews > League of Strays

League of Strays by L.B. Schulman

Jun 09, 12

Read from June 08 to 09, 2012

OK so one thing I have learned not to do is read reviews on Goodreads just as I've started reading a book, cause people on there are really judgemental and a bit weird about what they find to be "disgusting".

League of Strays is about a group of misfits/outsiders that are rounded up by "alluring" (read: creepy as fuck) Kade, who seems to know everything about them. He groups them as friends but in reality he wants them to get revenge on their bullies. All of them have stories of their worst moments and they target the people that caused these. Turns out "alluring" Kade has an agenda of his own against the principal and is actually a bit of a sociopath! He's got history that no one knows about and has been stalker-y and crazy before, with an unhappy ending.

One scene in particular that a lot of Goodreaders are having a problem with is when the League set up the mandatory gay character's bully. They send a note to his team mate supposedly from a gay lover then contact the bully and fool him into thinking he's meeting a chick for sex, instead he meets his team mates and they beat him up while the League watches from afar, he ends up getting his arm broken. Now, I'm sorry, but that scene? Not disgusting. Sadly that scene could and probably does happen, some people are idiots and do think it's OK to treat gay people like crap. I'm not saying this sort of action is good, but I don't find it "disgusting", I find it believable and I don't find anything wrong with the author writing a scene like this. In fact, even worse things than this happen more often than they should. And it by no means says to me that the author is "condoning" this sort of treatment, it says to me that she's not afraid to write about stuff that (sadly) happens on a daily basis. What's wrong with that?

My one problem with this book wasn't the storyline, it intrigued me, my problem was the characters. They were supposed to be seniors in high school (So what's that? About 17ish?) and they acted about 13 or 14, they came across as pretty immature and very gullible. The fact that all 3 girls were more than happy to listen to this complete stranger just because he was "gorgeous"? Honestly, I find that a bit unbelievable.

So all being said, if you can get over the immaturity and naivety of the characters (especially the "heroine") then I think this book is a quick easy read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read League of Strays.

06/09/2012
58.0% "Characters seem really immature but story's alright so far"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tez (new)

Tez "The fact that all 3 girls were more than happy to listen to this complete stranger just because he was "gorgeous"? Honestly, I find that a bit unbelievable." - Unfortunately, it's a major staple in most fiction I read. Apparently people can get away with anything if they're really good-looking. Because characters are that stupid...er, easily swayed ;-)

Julie-anne Tez wrote: ""The fact that all 3 girls were more than happy to listen to this complete stranger just because he was "gorgeous"? Honestly, I find that a bit unbelievable." - Unfortunately, it's a major staple i..."

Yeah, it does seem to be a staple in YA. Do adults really think kids are that stupid.

message 3: by Tez (new)

Tez Some kids really ARE that stupid, unfortunately.

Bodea I agree with you about that particular scene. Rather than being disgusted, I think readers should realize that the sentiment there is quite realistic. Sad, but true. There are people that think like that and things like that do happen. I think it was the authors intent, not to bash, but to try and be as realistic as possible.