Tatiana's Reviews > Ferragost

Ferragost by Melina Marchetta

Aug 07, 12

bookshelves: 2012, fantasy, short-stories, ya, aus-nz
Read on August 07, 2012

My affection for Eagar's writing seems to be decreasing with each work of hers I read, for some reason. There is something very unpolished and rough about the writing style of this story, whereas the plot itself is quite good.

Merged review:

Well, now I need a WHOLE book about Celie.

Great story, mysterious, atmospheric and romantic too.
16 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ferragost.

message 1: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda What?? How did I not know this existed? :)

message 3: by Kat Kennedy (new) - added it

Kat Kennedy I forgot to actually purchase this. Need so bad! But -sad fact, Marchetta is taking a sabbatical from novel writing.

Wendy uhm.... how long of a sabbatical are we talking here..?

message 5: by Kat Kennedy (new) - added it

Kat Kennedy When i spoke to her a couple of months ago she said she was really exhausted from novel writing and was focussing on her script writing for awhile. I don't know how long but she said she had nothing planned after Quintana - if I remember correctly. Manda from Vegan aussie YA might remember better.

Tatiana I heard that too, Kat. IDK how I will manage without her books:( Hopefully, this break won't last too long.

message 7: by Kat Kennedy (new) - added it

Kat Kennedy I hope so too! It was hard not to break down and beg when she mentioned the sabbatical.

message 8: by Steph Su (new)

Steph Su Can't wait to read this.

Wendy I think I've heard it too, and I just blocked it out after laying on the floor in the fetal position trying to calm myself.

message 10: by Kay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kay Tatiana, I'm so glad you rated this! You're one of my go-to reviewers to find good YA books, and this made my day!

message 11: by E (new)

E Thank you! I almost forgot about this! You're the best :)

message 12: by jo (last edited Aug 09, 2012 06:33AM) (new)

jo mo feel the same way, though i just started saltwater vampires so, we'll see how it goes ...

Tatiana I wonder if I ever will be as much into her future books as I was into "Raw Blue."

I was scared off by the reviews of Saltwater Vampires, but I did try Night Beach and it was a DNF for me:(

message 14: by Steph Su (new)

Steph Su I rather enjoyed Saltwater Vampires. I was initially surprised at how different it was from Raw Blue, but Eagar has a way of telling stories for me, and she takes the vampire idea and makes it all her own.

message 15: by jo (last edited Aug 09, 2012 08:32AM) (new)

jo mo hm, i wonder if her next book will have supernatural/horror elements too ...

@steph: yeah, i agree that it is definitely original. no sparkly, pretty immortal, more like shudder-inducing evil creatures (view spoiler)

@tatiana: sorry, did you mean did not finish with dnf? i'm not sure what else it could stand for. anyways, i struggled through night beach as well and put it down several times. so many unintelligible phrases which were meant to be deep, but only made me more confused

Tatiana Yes, DNF=did not finish.

And I know quite a bit of people who like very much the direction Eagar took after her debut, but I personally would prefer to see more straight contemporaries from her.

And also the language. Maybe because Eagar, most likely, took much more time to work on her first book, but I feel Raw Blue was written much, much better. Her later works remind me for some reason of Holly Black's stories (except Curse Workers books) in the way how jarring the word choices in them often are.

Mitch I can't believe she's taking a break from novels. But then again I've been burned by authors in the past phoning it in so a break might be a good thing.

Tatiana Mitch wrote: "I can't believe she's taking a break from novels. But then again I've been burned by authors in the past phoning it in so a break might be a good thing."

Good point. Better wait awhile than read something half-hearted and half-baked.