VampireNovelFan's Reviews > Lover at Last

Lover at Last by J.R. Ward

Jun 08, 2012

bookshelves: to-read

Considering I only average about 3 of these per year and I'm only through Book 2 at this point, it's going to take forever to get to this book (probably 2016 at my rate). But the fan excitement over it brings me back to my teen years when my friends got all excited about yaoi. Now instead of teens it's grown women--and not anime/manga, LOL. See, things don't change, they just evolve!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover at Last.

05/01 marked as: to-read

message 2: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Jun 08, 2012 06:57PM) (new) - added it

VampireNovelFan Deborah wrote: "Yaoi?"

Anime/manga version of gay men together. Sometimes fans like to slash characters together even if it's not canon (that's actually most popular, lol). There are tons of yaoi manga out there:

Shounen Ai is when it's just love, but yaoi is when they have sex too. Then you have tops and bottoms (called seme and uke) and you'd better not mix them up! Like, a popular (but non canon) yaoi pairing is Naruto and Sasuke from Naruto. Their name together is SasuNaru, meaning Sasuke's the top (seme) and Naruto is the bottom (uke). You can be a SasuNaru fan while NOT being a NaruSasu fan. They practically consider themselves two different fanbases (though SasuNaru is more popular). It is BIZARRE, but I kind of get it, haha.

message 3: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Jun 09, 2012 08:04AM) (new) - added it

VampireNovelFan I don't follow Anita Blake anymore, but it seemed to me that Laurel K. Hamilton has a mix of it in her series. I know (view spoiler). And what about Anne Rice?

I believe in equal opportunity. Why not just toss in some FF while you're at it? That would really impress me and show true bravery as a writer, especially from a straight female author. Even more impressive if a straight male author would incorporate MM. I know I'm generalizing, but women sometimes like two guys together like guys often like seeing two women together, so it's not THAT out there.

And for the record, I did have a couple of yaoi pairings I liked (I was a SasuNaru fan and adored Roy Mustang/Maes Hughes from Fullmetal Alchemist :P). I just wasn't crazy about it and ONLY into it like some of my friends.

Donna Just so you know... This book is highly anticipated book of the series. Fans have been waiting too long for this book. Man I can not wait for 2013!

VampireNovelFan Donna wrote: "Just so you know... This book is highly anticipated book of the series. Fans have been waiting too long for this book. Man I can not wait for 2013!"

Yes, I certainly knew, lol.