Melissa's Reviews > Storm Born

Storm Born by Richelle Mead

Jan 02, 14

Read in April, 2010

Because I have enjoyed Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy books so much, I thought I would give the Dark Swan series a try, as well. With Storm Born, I loved some aspects and really didn't care for others.

I should have realized when I bought this book that it would probably be more sexually graphic than I cared to read. Somehow that point went right over my head, though. I opted to skip over those parts and focus on the meat of the story, which is more interesting in its own right, anyway. In reading more and more paranormal books of late, I find it amazing that authors are able to put their own spins on the various creatures, lands, and lore of the paranormal world. Between L. J. Smith and Mead I have read more about kitsune than I ever would have imagined, especially as I was not at all familiar with the legends of fox shapeshifters until reading Smith's newest Vampire Diaries series. Mead's storyline of the Otherworld and the "gentry," as she referred to those who were not from our own world, is suspenseful and dark, with just enough humor tossed in to lighten the mood when needed.

Overall, I enjoyed the fast pace of Storm Born, but I don't know that I'm in any big rush to continue the series--particularly given how many books I have piling up in the house these days. If anyone out there has read Thorn Queen and really recommends it, however, I am all ears!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Storm Born.