Kirstin's Reviews > My Father's Dragon Limited Edition of the 60th Anniversary Deluxe Edition

My Father's Dragon Limited Edition of the 60th Anniversary De... by Ruth Stiles Gannett

Jul 02, 12

bookshelves: library
Read from June 08 to 10, 2012

The story focuses on the narrator’s father, Elmer Elevator, who rescues an alley cat, who, in turn, tells Elmer about a blue and yellow striped baby dragon. Held prisoner by the animals of Wild Island, he is forced to ferry them back and forth across a river. The cat assures Elmer that if he were to rescue the dragon, it would be sure to let him fly on its back.

With a backpack full of useful items, like magnifying glasses, rubber bands, and lollipops, Elmer stows away on a ship. When he finally reaches Wild Island, he finds that he will need all his cunning and common sense to outwit the animals who want to eat him and to reach the baby dragon.

Similar in feel to Rudyard Kipling’s Just So Stories and The Jungle Book, this would make a worthy addition to any library of books to read aloud to children. I’d probably say kindergarten through second grade, because I think any younger and the length and the threat of being devoured might be too much. Plus, in that age range, they’d be able to enjoy the beautifully illustrated map featured on the end papers of the book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Father's Dragon Limited Edition of the 60th Anniversary Deluxe Edition.

06/08/2012 page 15