midnightblooms's Reviews > Finding Magic

Finding Magic by Stacia Kane

Jun 08, 12

FINDING MAGIC is a prequel to the Downside Series, one of the best UF series on the market. This novella fills in some of Chess's back story, from when she is still in school before she became a Debunker and drug addict.

As with the rest of the series, Kane has provided excellently written, wonderful urban fantasy. Kane manages to do something extremely difficult--create characters who are so very broken and nearly despicable yet so empathetic that you want them to succeed.

As with the rest of the series, FINDING MAGIC's pacing grabs you, runs, and keeps going. The complexity is just right for the length; Kane delivers and resolves a complex mystery plot, as usual, blending in plot elements from and into the other books, and even tosses a cameo in the last few paragraphs which made me squeal with fangirl delight.

I really can't say too many good things about this series and this story. Kane is one of the few authors who are an autobuy for me. If you haven't read the Downside series, do so. FINDING MAGIC is a great intro to the series.

(Edited to correct spelling and remove an excess of "very." Clearly I was very excited when writing this review.)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finding Magic.