Emily's Reviews > The Girl of Fire and Thorns

The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson

Jun 09, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, outside-u-s-a, yalsa-challenge-2012, ya-fiction, faith-god-religion
Read in May, 2012

Why I picked it up: A really interesting plot summary.

Elisa is the younger of two princesses, and it's her sister who has been a part of helping their father with the politics. On her sixteenth birthday, Elisa is married to King Alejandro, a man she has not yet seen, for political alliance. And Elisa knows she has a destiny, as she bears the Godstone of the chosen one. Once a century, a bearer is designated by a blue stone divined into the bearer's belly. That's the set-up; it's hard to describe the actual plot.

I liked it. A lot. First of all, I love the unusual premise. I like the faith aspect. And I like that while I am sure some readers may assume the religion is Christianity, in my head it was a far more general faith and most likely a religion that does not exist outside the imagination of Rae Carson. I like that Elisa is not skinny and can even be considered overweight, and that (view spoiler) For that matter, I like that there are several men who do not seem to mind that she is on the hefty side. I like that many of the names are Hispanic in origin, as I don't see that very often, especially in books I would classify as fantasy, and especially that King Alejandro, described as “handsome” and “kind,” shares his name with my husband, who is handsome and kind and so much more. I like Elisa's journey and how she finds strength in herself and brings out the best in those around her. And I like that while it is clearly the start of a series, this book ended well and not on a cliffhanger.

One minor complaint: I wish there had been a map of the land. I didn't fully understand where different territories were and a map would have helped.

Contains: Allusions to sex, including extramarital
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl of Fire and Thorns.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kristy I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and my fondness toward it seems to be growing with time. Did you see that a prequel is going to be released as an eBook in July?

Emily Yes, I saw that on her website when I went to see if there was a release date for the next one. Not quite as exciting, but it will be interesting to see things through the sister's eyes. Glad you enjoyed it too! Thanks for making sure I knew about the prequel!