Kiki's Reviews > Horns

Horns by Joe Hill

Jun 17, 12

Read from June 08 to 17, 2012

Right. Well. I finished it. And I still have no fucking clue what the point was. Some sort of treatise on good versus evil, but other than that, no idea what the shit it all meant. Snakes, but not very poisonous ones, and people are awful, and there's a magic tree-house, and God doesn't love us enough.

I DON'T EVEN KNOW.

Other that not understanding whatever Hill was trying to say, my main problem was the lack of characterization. I didn't feel like I really knew anyone in the book. Everyone's motivations were kind of nebulous. The only character I cared about was Glenna, and that was probably mostly projection.

And the X-Men reference was so Grant Morrison, I kind of wanted to cry. Stop making mind symbols at Joe Hill, dude.

So, no. I wanted to like this book, but no. Read HEART SHAPED BOX. It's a better book. And then maybe read this. Maybe you'll get something out of it that I didn't. However it goes, I do look forward to more from Hill. He really does have something. He just didn't quite get it right this time.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Horns.

06/12/2012 page 84
23.0% "This book is an intensely unpleasant read, so far." 5 comments
06/17/2012 page 92
25.0% "Probably not going to finish this. Sorry, Joe Hill. I loved the last one, if that makes you feel better."