Heather Wood's Reviews > Beautiful Lies

Beautiful Lies by Jessica Warman

Aug 12, 12

Read from August 03 to 12, 2012

Beautiful Lies was definitely one twisty thrill ride. I started the book a couple of weeks ago and put it down because I just couldn’t get into it. The beginning was confusing and felt very slow. I’m really glad that I gave it another shot because it turned out to be really good.

I haven’t read a twin novel since probably the Sweet Valley High series, so I was drawn in by the premise of twins sharing a special connection. It is also a story about redemption as Alice, the “bad” twin, attempts to locate her missing sister Rachel, the “good twin.” Since the twins often switch places, Alice continues to pose as Rachel and launches her own search. Alice not only senses Rachel’s emotions, but also feels her physical pain.

The novel almost had a gothic feel to it and some of the imagery made me leave on the lights while I was reading. The author is a talented storyteller and her descriptions of the violence against Rachel and Alice were hard to read at times.

The story was more than a simple whodunit. There are mysteries revolving around the secrets Rachel kept from Alice, the gifts that Alice and her grandmother claim to possess and Alice’s relationship with a boy named Robin.

The characterizations for both Rachel and Alice were done well. There were a few too many secondary characters and many of them didn’t really stand out to me. I found myself forgetting who they were as I read on. And as far as the villain of the novel, I was able to guess early on who was responsible for Rachel’s disappearance.

There are so many questions that I have even after finishing the novel. When you have an unreliable narrator like Alice, you can’t help but wonder if what she was describing actually happened or was she simply imagining things. It was a moving novel with a memorable main character.

Rating: 4/5 Stars

Thanks to the publisher for an advanced copy via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review!

Read more of my reviews at Heather's Book Chatter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Lies.