Sariah's Reviews > The Princess Diaries

The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot

Jun 08, 12

Read in June, 2012

This is just a super cute, super fun, YA read. At first I was only going to give it 3 stars because the main character, Mia, was driving me crazy. She was very self-centered and whiney. Sure, she's just a high school freshman, but it was grating on my nerves to read her ALL CAPITALS shouting with SO MANY exclamation points!!!!! about how much it sucks to be a princess. By the end of the book, however, Mia had learned not to be so self-centered. She had learned a little bit more about what and who are really important (hint: the hot senior boy is not important. The super nice girl that sits alone in the cafeteria is important...). I'd like to read more in the series just to watch Mia grow even more.

Of course I've seen the movie. I love the movie. It's also super cute and super fun. I think I like the grandmother more in the movie (Julie Andrews is just plain wonderful), and I wish they had kept in Mia's dad (although I suppose trying to explain the whole situation and relationship between Mia's parents as it is in the book is just too complicated and would take up way too much time in the movie). Don't read this book expecting the movie. Just read the book for something fun and light, if you're into YA chick lit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Princess Diaries.